Friday, January 17, 2020

Two-Factor Authentication

Welcome back to campus, Hornets!

Today's topic will be about two-factor authentication, an amazing security feature that is becoming more prevalent in everyday life. Did you know that, according to this this linked article, 87% of those classified as 'Gen Z' reuse the same password? That means that well over half of the campus, more than likely, uses the same password for their school/work email account and their personal email account. Tisk tisk tisk. We always recommend altering your passwords for each account to decrease the likelihood of a breach, but this is where two-factor authentication comes into play to greatly increases your online security.

For example, I have set up two-factor authentication for my student email account with my mobile phone. Anytime I sign into my student email address from an unrecognized computer or device, I receive a prompt on my phone asking if that was truly me. I cannot access any emails, files, etc. if I do not tell my phone 'yes, that was me'. This means that even in the chance of an account breach, I would have an extra layer of protection. More importantly, this extra layer of protection is physically on me almost 24/7. This greatly decreases the chances of a breach, and increases the chances that my private emails and files are protected. This is extremely important for you if you take advantage of your G Suite account's unlimited Google Drive. Don't know how to set up two-factor authentication with your student email account? Follow this link to learn how to set up two-factor authentication and find more information.

Stay safe and good luck this semester!

Sam Derksen
Web Developer
Web and Digital Strategies