Friday, April 13, 2018

6 Months With Teams




A User's Perspective: 

While IT only recently just rolled out Teams, our team has been using it for just over six months. These six months have really opened my eyes to team collaboration and the versatility of Teams. It really is an all expansive tool that has seemed to sit well with our Team's operations after trying many platforms such as Slack, email, and Skype. Each had their strengths, but none of them could fully satisfy the full needs of what we required. However, when switching to Team, some of the gaps were filled in very quickly, and from there it was merely a learning experience of new features.

So far one of the coolest features I've experienced was similar to that of Sheldon's floating head from Big Bang Theory. What I mean by this is, one of my co-workers, Tyler, was unable to come in for the afternoon, but was able to set up his Teams such that he was able to be present at his desk virtually. If myself or one of my teammates had questions, we simply needed to approach Tyler at his desk and interact normally. This is an extension of Microsoft's attempt to easily allow users to manage conference calls and it easily outpaces Skype and other Competitors. Other features that are amazing are Microsoft's seamless integration between platforms so I can keep Teams with me wherever I am and on whatever device I am carrying with me. I remember being on my way to a conference and being able to still interact with my teammates and help where necessary.

And lastly, but most definitely not least, is the nice UI experience that comes with teams. I am a major fan of looking at a simple and clean user interface, especially on my phone. Microsoft has designed this in such a manner that picking up my phone and responding to Teams messages is a pleasure rather than a burden.